On 15 November 2019, Coast to Coast Caravan and Leisure notified a recall for Suburban Recreational Vehicle Water Heaters because of severe safety hazards. If you’re a caravan or RV owner, ACCC are urging you to check your vehicles for Suburban-branded water heaters, which may emit carbon monoxide.
The water heaters operate using electricity or gas and can produce unsafe levels of carbon monoxide when running on gas. It’s crucial to be aware of the risks – carbon monoxide poisoning can cause death, and even exposure for a limited time can cause serious injuries. Carbon monoxide is hard to detect, has no smell and is also highly flammable.
ACCC Deputy Chair Delia Rickard says, ‘Do not use the affected water heaters in gas mode under any circumstances. It’s especially important to check your caravan’s water heater as soon as possible if you plan to go away during the summer holidays. It only takes a minute and could save the lives of your loved ones’.
Check if your heater is affected using these simple steps:
- Open the exterior access door to the hot water service.
- Check the model and serial number located on the righthand side.
- Enter the serial number at the Coast to Coast website to see if your water heater is affected.
- If your water heater is affected, contact Coast to Coast Caravan and Leisure on 02 9645 7685.
- Coast to Coast Caravan and Leisure will send out a licensed gasfitter to inspect their water heater free of charge.
- If needed, the water heater can be replaced free of charge.
Consumers who experience difficulty in getting a timely solution should contact Coast to Coast Caravan and Leisure, their state or territory gas regulator or the ACCC online.
Image courtesy of iStock: 1254690616